Sunday, April 5, 2009

Weekly Sketches

Once again, I redesigned the Heinz ketchup label. The first design is inspired by Peter Behrens’ design in the early 1900s. His designs were very structured and geometrical, so I changed the shape of the label itself to be a rectangle with 90 degree angles, and then used linear elements as well as circles. I used the circles, which I would make red (to echo the image of a tomato) to hold each letter of the word ‘Heinz.’ I then made the bottom portion of the label primarily circular, but still intersected with some linear elements. Overall, the design is clean and neat and geometrical, like Behrens’ work. As for typography, Behrens used a bracketed serif font; on this matter, I would depart from his influence and use a simple, bold fat face. I think the thick, bold type would stand out more, as well as keep the clean and simple look of the label.

The second label is inspired by the Plakastil movement. The posters of this era used reductive imagery and flat planes of color. I mirrored these characteristics in my design by making the main imagery a giant red tomato with a simplified green leaf/stem on the top. Plakastil experimented with placement of type somewhat, so I aligned “Heinz” on the curve of the tomato to make the type and imagery work together. I think I would use a fancier font for this design, as Plakastil posters also experimented with sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. I think that was a very good idea to change the shape of the label to fit within Behren's style. As for the second design, I really like the location of Heinz, along with the line below it. It's much more attractive and appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the 1st image you designed because it really shows the style that Behrens used. He used a lot of shapes, and I feel like he made things a little more orderly. I like the 2nd image as well because I like the type used because it is really easy to see and I like how you have a picture of the tomato in it, I couldnt see it at first but once i looked again i saw it.

    ReplyDelete