Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sketches


This redesign of the Heinz ketchup bottle label is influenced by the Victorian era. I wanted to use typography that was more decorative and thick to make the “Heinz tomato ketchup” words stand out on the label, especially “Heinz.” I also put the word “tomato” on a curved angle, as that is representative of many Victorian era products as well. I carried the thicker, decorative type through to “America’s favorite” but on a smaller scale so that the phrase would not compete with brand name. Finally, I added a lot of embellishment through straight and scalloped lines around the border, as well as scrolls and curves in the white spaces to make sure I filled all of the larger areas of white, as Victorians did not like to leave any white space.




This second redesign of the Heinz ketchup bottle label is influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement. For typography, I was inspired by the woodtype typeface “Neuland” by Rudolf Koch, which was a slightly imperfect carved block letterface with very thick, even, angular strokes. I used smaller, contrasting types for less important words in the label to balance the thick, larger and more important words. Arts & Crafts design used very organic line-made elements, as well as celebrated nature, so I tried to do the same through using a tomato and vines to make linear elements that moved throughout the whole label, making it very busy, just like arts and crafts design. Also, the placement of the type was generally put near the top or bottom, so that is what I did with most of the type on the label; I wanted the Heinz pickle to stand out, though, so I put that more towards the center as one of the main elements as it is a brand identity for the company.

2 comments:

  1. I like your idea of recreating the Heinz label, considering your connections with it! :) For the first one, you did a great job showing the importance through hierarchy, which may be difficult because there was so much information to include in it. For the second sketch, I feel the phrase America's Favorite Ketchup gets a bit lost. Maybe emphasize contrasts in scale a little bit more. Good work, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like your idea! And I really enjoyed looking at your images. You really got both concepts down about the Victorian Era and the Arts and Crafts movement. Both of them were busy and didnt like to leave a lot of white space like how you did it. The type works well too because they wanted them to be big and bold and the more imporant words would stand out. Nice!

    ReplyDelete